Important Chromebook Information For School Year – 2020-21
– All students will be responsible for an assigned Chromebook (like a textbook).
– There is no contract required at this time.
– There is no technology fee due this school year.
– Students will maintain possession of the Chromebook while enrolled in the district
– Students will be required to return Chromebook upon withdrawal or graduation from the district, or the student is instructed to do so by a school or district official. – – All Chromebooks remain the property of Sumter County School District. (Sumter School District reserves the right to modify this program or its terms at any time.)
– Any damage is to be reported immediately to Ms. Wolfe – email@example.com
– Chromebooks needing repair must be turned in with the assigned charger.
– Please see the attached Chromebook Replacement Costs concerning lost or deliberately damaged Chromebooks, lost chargers, and screen replacements.
Please note that students must use school-assigned Chromebooks to access their virtual classes and classwork/homework.
Students may not use personal Chromebooks or laptops at school and may not utilize the School/District network/wifi with personal technology due to Federal CIPA (Children’s Internet Protection Act) laws/regulations.
Student Acceptable Use and Internet Safety Agreements should be completed and turned in by October 15th with a parent/guardian signature. Please read the Student Acceptable Use and Internet Safety Policy before signing. Once the agreement is signed return it to Ebenezer Middle School or email a signed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internet Safety Is Essential
Here are some tips to help keep your child safe on the internet:
- Keep your computer in a high traffic area that is available to everyone in the house.
- Discuss rules for using the internet with your child and why these rules are in place.
- Go to websites together so that you know what sites your child is visiting (Our school site has some wonderful educational sites).
- Talk with your child about never sharing personal information. Remind your child that they do not always know who is on the site and they should never give out their name, address, birthdate, or phone number to anyone.
- Cyberbullying – If your child is a victim of cyberbullying please do the following:
- Explain to your child to NEVER respond to texts or emails that are bullying in nature.
- Print, copy, or make a screenshot of all evidence of cyberbullying. Please note the day and time that it was received.
- Block the sender of any emails.
- Contact your internet service provider to ask them to remove any webpage that is meant to hurt your child.
View the following site for more tips: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/privacy-and-internet-safety
How can my child get a district-issued Chromebook?
• Sumter School District’s One-to-Global initiative provides a technology device for each student in grades kindergarten through twelfth grade.
• Students and parents without a district-issued Chromebook may check one out during scheduled dates at their child’s home school.
• A students who is new to the district will be notified when his/her district-issued Chromebook is ready for pickup.
• Students who are having issues with technology will be provided with avenues to contact the school media specialist or Chromebook manager for technical support. This will include issues with internet, applications, software, and technology tools.
• If you are in need of additional technology support, click here to complete an IT Support Request. A systems technician will reach out immediately from 8 AM to 4 PM Monday through Friday.
How do I obtain access to Wi-Fi?
In an effort to prepare for online instruction, Sumter School District would like to reach out to families who do not have access to the Internet. To be eligible for a wireless hotspot you must meet the following criteria:
- Have a student in the household;
- Not have internet;
- Have a household income at or below 250% of federal poverty;
- Need internet for educational purposes in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
If you meet these requirements please call 803-469-6900, extension 502 or 406 to register.
|Wi-Fi Hotspot Location||Wi-Fi Hotspot Address||Wi-Fi Hotspot Location Contact Information|
101 N. Lafayette Blvd
1060 Broad Street
360 Pinewood Rd
5650 Broad St
|Kobe Japanese Steakhouse||1121 Broad St Ste 13||803-418-0888|
|Buffalo Wild Wings||2625 Broad St||803-469-7400|
|Walmart Supercenter||1283 Broad St||803-905-5500|
|Walmart Neighborhood Market||343 Pinewood Rd||803-305-6238|
|NHC Sumter||1018 N Guignard Dr||803-773-5567|
|Scott Will Collision||1360 Wilson Hall Rd||803-905-3414|
1020 Broad St
1701 Highway 15 S
|Prisma Health Tuomey||129 N Washington St||803-774-9000|
|Lowe’s||1251 Broad St||803-905-2650|
|America’s Best Value Inn & Suites (Formerly Days Inn)||2430 Broad St||803-469-8400|
|Hardee’s||493 N Guignard Dr||803-775-7494|
|Elmore-Cannon-Stephens Funeral Home||515 Miller Rd||803-775-7500|
|The Children’s Place (Sumter Mall)||1057 Broad St||803-775-1657|
|J O’Grady’s||5 S Main St||803-938-5699|
|Subway||9 E Liberty St||803-775-4924|
|Angel’s Mexican Restaurant||246 S Pike W||803-778-9770|
|Susie’s Chicken and Fries Restaurant||303 Manning Ave||803-848-4032|
|Red Lobster||1034 Broad St||803-773-6323|
|Books-A-Million (Sumter Mall)||1057 Broad St, Ste 8||803-773-1091|
|Jehovah Missionary Baptist Church||805 S Harvin St||803-775-4032|
|Alice Drive Baptist Church||1305 Loring Mill Rd||803-905-5200|
|Love Covenant Church||245 Oswego Hwy, Sumter, SC 29150||803- 775-7605|
|Goodwill of Sumter||1028 Broad St, Sumter, SC 29150||843-790-8585|
|Trinity Ranch and Sanctuary in the Shiloh Community|
|Everyday Heating Cooling Appliance||1776 Peach Orchard Rd, Sumter, SC 29154||803-807-7992|
Chromebook Troubleshooting Tips and Rules
Student’s Chromebooks do not connect to the school Wi-Fi unless they are on campus. When a student is working from home Wi-Fi issues are directly related to the Wi-Fi service and/or the provider. Please contact your provider if your student’s Chromebook keeps getting kicked off the Internet or the spinner icon is constantly spinning on the screen. When troubleshooting one suggestion would be to ensure that other devices (smart TVs, tablets, etc.) are not accessing the Wi-Fi at the same time and if they are to turn them off so that only the Chromebook is using the Wi-Fi.